Hero Tower Defense Thursday: Day 21 - HTD Pre-Alpha v0.002 Release!

Want to get the legendary dogs? Shiny Mew? or any other shiny pokemon in the game? Adopt them today using SnD coins! Purchase some SnD coins and get Ninja-ja bonus items free! Click here for more info.

Visit the PTD: Pokemon Center - a place to trade pokemon, get your Daily Code, adopt Pokemon, view your items and change your avatar!


Welcome to Hero Tower Defense Thursday!

HTD Logo WIP


Go here to read Day 20 of Hero Tower Defense Thursday.



The next HTD update is now available! For this update We started implementing the interface and user controls for the skills. The interface still has a ways to go but it's a good start. I'll list the changes here:

What's New:

-Fixed swapping character locations with the civilian

-Added a custom cursor (hand/glove)

-Added zoom controls to the top-right corner. The keyboard shortcuts (numpad + and -) still work.

-Prettier health meters

-You can now click on the characters to select them. You can also click on character portraits which will select the corresponding characters. Currently selected characters will be highlighted.

-Made it so you have to drag characters slightly before triggering the move command. This makes it so when clicking on them for selection that they don't jump positions.

-Select an enemy to make your currently selected character focus fire on that target (A focus icon will appear). This means they will only attack that specific enemy and not whatever enemy happens to be closest.

-Skills are now available to cast manually. All characters currently have the same skills but clicking on one gives you the ability to target an enemy manually. Your character will stop auto attacking so that it doesn't keep triggering cooldowns on you. When you are in targeting mode your cursor will change to a crosshair and you will see the skill's range and clicking anywhere but on an enemy will do nothing. If you want to cancel out of using a skill just click the skill icon again and the character will return to auto attacking.

Note: Using the fire strike skill (flaming sword icon) will either perform the skill using melee (sword) or ranged (kunai) depending on how close the enemy is.


In the Works:

  • Revised Human Male
  • Other Elemental Skills
  • Character Selection
  • Character Customization
  • Character Skill Selection
  • Wand Weapon
  • Interface Additions
  • And More!


So have fun with this new release, it's still in survival mode so there's no beating it but play around with the new features and see what you think. Feedback is always welcome so be sure to leave all your questions, suggestions, and ideas in the comments section!

Also don't forget to check out Kevin's blog, KXN @ HTD for more HTD related stuff including the current poll to decide what elemental he should start designing effects and icons for next!


-Dan

Need Programmers!

Looking for new people that want to work with us is actually a pretty hard ordeal. We had many great applications for the artist position and we were fortunate to find Kevin which has shown that he has what it takes. With artist the quest of finding one is a lot simpler, since with art what you see is what you get. With programming it's not quite as easy as looking at a portfolio. But let's do it anyways. This programmer position will let you work with Dan, Kevin and I on all the latest projects that we have here on Sam & Dan games have going. Be a part of our team! We are in need of programming in pretty much all the areas of game development so if you are an expert in gameplay, interfaces, or tool building apply today!

Here are the requirements.
  • Must be 18 years or older.
  • Must have at least a year experience using Action Script 3.
  • Must have mastery of OOP.
  • Must have Adobe Professional CS5.5 or compatible software.
  • Must have a passion for Gaming.
  • Must speak and write fluent English.
These next ones are things are pluses that will make you more likely to be considered:
  • Have published a successful Action Script 3 Flash game on the web.
  • Have worked on a published game using different languages and engines.
    • C++, Java, C#
So there you go, like the artist position this is a paid position. Here is what we want to know from you:
  • Email to sotero86@gmail.com with subject "Programming Job Opening for SnD Games" (Can you follow simple instructions?)
  • Your experience in programming: What languages, how long, etc (Do you meet the requirements?)
  • Examples of your work: Published games, tools, widgets, etc (Do you have any of the plusses that we are looking for)
  • Why you want to work with us? and why should we pick you? (We want to see your passion!)
So let the search begin! I'm looking forward to the applications!

-Sam

Comments

  1. i love how it looks now, and i love the new features

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4th! Okay, Enough stupid things....
    The new features are great! Looks a lot better than before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The skills are pretty impressive so far. I like the new look too. Still getting used to the fact that everything is real-time as opposed to pausing like in PTD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we wanted HTD to have more flow, sorta like an MMORPG feel.

      Delete
  4. Dan forgot to mention (and I forgot to remind him) that I currently have a poll open over on my blog to decide the next elemental skills we put in; water, nature, light or shadow.

    I've already heard the critique of the cursor and it's on my secondary priority list, along with a few other little things that weren't able to get into this build. I believe everyone's aware of what my primary priority list consists of at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! It is now more enjoyable, because we can select skills and targeting.

    A Spanish PTD fan

    =Mighark=

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sam and Dan :)
    Honestly, the game looks good so far. However, the spell in the middle of the circle seems to either not work, or I don't understand how to use it correctly. Other than that, maybe a "Details" section in the options menu that describes what each of the spells is.
    Other than that, loving the pre-pre-pre-pre alpha :) keep up the good work ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam answered the other stuff below but I wanted to respond to your suggestion on a Details section. Yes, we'll definitely have something like that. We'll be working in every bit of info you might need so that it's all accessible right in the game.

      Delete
  7. wow... my last comment disappeared because apparently I had to sign into my Google account first when I clicked "Publish." Anyways, here's my attempt at repeating my message: ....

    Hey Sam and Dan :) I honestly love the game so far, and can't wait to see what becomes of it. The only real issues I had with the current version was that I either did not understand how to use the spell in the bottom middle, or it was working incorrectly. Not really sure what's going on there.
    Currently, I believe there needs to be a pause menu (which I know will come into affect later) and there needs to be a help section that describes the effects of the spells and how to use them.
    Can't wait to see where this all goes,
    Hotair10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are trying to figure out how to work in a pause, since this game will have a lot of multiplayer and pausing in multiplayer is pretty tricky. The reason the fireball spell might not seem to be working is because it has a cooldown. So if you use it while on cooldown it won't trigger.

      Delete
  8. @ Sam... Sorry to message you here but I bough some SND coins about 6 days ago and I still havent got them.. I've emailed you twice with no reply still so yeh... Please answer my emails

    P.S Hero TD is looking great and is coming along nicely.. cant wait for it to unravel like PTD..

    PTD 2 aswell so excited!!!

    Hope your having fun with it all cause I know i am :)

    Alfie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is your email address, I'll take care of it right away.

      Delete
  9. Alfieshepard@hotmail.com

    I messaged you with a screenshot because I bought the SND coins with a paypal account linked to a different email...


    Thanks sam :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The game is a bit too laggy as of right now to really be playable. Are there too many people playing right now? I know for a fact that its not my computer. Wish I could try it out but its a bit laggy.

    -Random Dude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Random Dude! Is it laggy right from the start? or when a lot of dragons enter the level? The number of people playing should not affect the laggyness (made up word ftw) of the game.

      Delete
  11. Hey Sam and Dan,

    I am really inspired by your work as game makers and I love it. But now I want to make my own TD game but I don't know anything about it so I have some questions. Is the program you use very hard for a beginner? Does it cost a lot of MB/GB because my computer is quite full. That are my first questions.

    greetings Jelmer ( http://www.leagueoflegendstowerdefence.blogspot.com/ ) and good luck with the game making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We've been using Adobe Flash CS5 for all our games so far. It's fairly easy to start out using but depending on what you plan to do can make things much more difficult. I'd suggest reading up on different programs so you can make a good choice for yourself and then start looking for tutorials using that program.

      Good luck!

      Delete
  12. Hey Sam and Dan,

    Unfortunately, I only have knowledge of ActionScript 2.0, however, I know languages ​​like PHP and MySQL. But neither step in the minimum requirements, I am only 15 years old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always learn more in the meantime and apply later. Never know when we might be looking for another programmer again. :)

      Delete
  13. So will it be coming to android eventually?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what we are planning right now, yes. I can't give an ETA right now but it'll probably be when the game is a bit further along.

      Delete
  14. Sam,

    Still my snd coins haven't came through when I purchased them weeks ago. Could you try and get them through to my account.

    Thanks,

    Elendil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me an email @ sotero86@gmail.com I will resolve this asap.

      Delete
  15. when are you going to do the final update to PTD??????????????????????

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am waiting for your next valuable post. Keep on sharing many us support you

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have read this article; it is very informative and helpful for me. Great job you did

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you ever so much for your blog post. Really thank you! Really Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Muchos Gracias for your post. Really looking forward to read more. Want more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment